Friday 13 January 2012

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 Holiday Numbers Down

Sales of Modern Warfare 3 are down 452,000 compared to Black Ops over the same period last year
Maybe its finally happening, the beginning of the end for the utterly dull Call of Duty series, each year Infinite-Ward and Treyarch churn out another unimaginative, uninspiring edition to the COD series and each year gamers buy them up day one with no rational thought or research into the quality of the game, but maybe Modern Warfare 3 was a step too far. 

This (November 8 - December 31) is the first time that the sales of a COD game have not sold more than the previous years edition, over the time period written above Treyarch's Black Ops sold 3,266,298 whilst Modern Warfare 3 only sold 2,814,298 units. Obviously I'm getting a bit ahead of myself as this is still a very large amount and Modern Warfare 3 has sold an unbelievable amount of copies and was, according to the NPD group, the highest selling game of 2011, so on this basis the series is still fine but this still could be an important event because maybe gamers are waking up from their COD dream and starting to realise the problems the series now has.

I'm aware that it seems like I'm just another COD hater but I'm not and my sadness for the series in its current condition is born out of my love for what the series used to be, the original Modern Warfare changed the way online first person shooters were made and is now an iconic game in gaming history along with being my favourite FPS of all time, and following this you had World at War which again was a really good game that captured the era perfectly and added a few new elements to the series such as the ever popular Nazi Zombies, but from then on I lost interest in the series and in my opinion there has been no positive additions gameplay wise to the series from this point forward. For me there is no obvious difference between MW2, Black Ops and MW3, they all look pretty much the same, all feel the same and all rely far too much on killstreaks, perks etc. and shy away from the raw skill of the player, which is what made the original Modern Warfare such a classic because it had the perfect balance.

I think the series can still be saved if they start to the re imagine the series and come up with fresh ideas, but because of the amount of money they are making from using this yearly model I can't see this happening so I think this may well indeed be the first step in Call of Duty's downfall.


No comments:

Post a Comment